Sand Dune Skiing


“…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…” (Hebrews 12:1b, 2, NIV)

Sand dune skiing is similar to snow skiing but, in my opinion, it is even more challenging! Four of us from our Edmonton church staff and leadership were on a break for our visit with the international church in Dubai back in March, 2010. We had joined with other visitors for a thrilling sand dune “race” up and over high sand dune hills in Toyota “sand dune” vehicles. Our driver would race up dunes, tip over the edge and then race past other drivers on steep slopes with just inches to spare! One young woman spent much of her time screaming but still enjoying the adrenaline rush!

After this experience, our guides provided skis, rubbing some slippery substance on them, and then challenges us to ski down one of the huge sand dune hills. Since this was a trip of a lifetime for me, I decided that I would join one or two others who would stand up on the skis, not sit down on them and slide down the dune. Standing up meant that I went faster, gathering momentum as I moved but it also meant that I needed good balance to reach my destination without falling. I moved slowly at first but picked up speed along the way. Suddenly, I lost my balance just before the end and I flipped, hitting my head on the hard packed sand! Wow that hurt!

This reminds me of the race that God has assigned to each of us who have trusted in and truly belong to Jesus. You have a destiny – to reach the end of this life and becoming like Jesus in your character and bearing much spiritual fruit from Him (John 15:5, 16). To accomplish this, you need focus – “fix [your] eyes on Jesus…” (Hebrews 12:2). Secondly, you need to increase your spiritual momentum by intentionally meditating on God’s word, seeking Him continually and choosing to obey in your life what you learn from him daily. As Philippians 4:9 says, put it into practice. Thirdly, you must have balance in your life so that you do not fall and mess up your life through sinful thoughts, words and actions. So, choose to instill spiritual balance in your life by keeping in step with the Holy Spirit as He teaches you through your daily reading, study and mediation in the Bible, the infallible holy word of God! Like downhill sand dune skiing, it is essential to look where you are going – in this instance, looking to Jesus your destination!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looney Tunes

Sheep on Track

The Wonder of You!